Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 February 2012

Lack of picks/Davis Cup results

I have yet to come up with any other picks this week.  I lost a tough one on F. Lopez.  And I should've taken Huta Galung def Ljubicic.  I thought about it and I declined.  Ljubicic looked like shit in Zagreb and if you cannot bring it for a tournament in your own country you're not going to win against a hungry Dutchman in his own country.


The Davis Cup picks went as expected, except for Bogomolov.  I shouldn't have taken this pick.  I should've said look, it's his first Davis Cup match for Russia.  He's going to be under a ton of pressure and he hasn't been playing all that well lately.  Irregardless, I lost this only pick, but since the others were sure fire favorites I am down on the week.  I did however, bet on John Isner in the 4th set at 2.88.  Which seemed a ridiculous price given that Federer was having an incredibly difficult time with his serve.  Looking back why Federer was such a huge favorite against Isner is beyond me.  I know it's on clay and at home in Switzerland.  But look at the facts:

1)  Isner is so tall that the kick on his serve actually works well on clay.  Federer has to jump to get several of them and many went over his head.

2)  Federer said it didn't really matter if they won this tie.  He wasn't going to play in the next round and they would've needed him to win.

3)  Federer's return game is much weaker than his other big 4 brethren.  It seems like it used to be much better as he has the highest number of donuts against other players a few years ago.  I believe this is because of a lack of actual tournament matches and bc his serve is so good he doesn't need it.  With Djoko's return game you'd think it'd have been him, but it wasn't.

I like to reflect on bets that I didn't take and why I should've.

No comments:

Post a Comment