Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Day 3 reaction!

Crazy day in Melbourne for the Open and also my picks.

Favs

Federer (3-0) v Beck - This match never happened as Beck pulled out before the match got underway.  This pick is obviously a no play, but this could play into Fed's run to the Final as he will have a much needed rest that his likely semi-final opponent Rafa Nadal will not have.

Anderson v Stakhovskky - Anderson beat Stakhovsky in 4 after dropping the 1st set.  Wasn't able to catch any of this match so I don't have to comment.  This is about the result that I figured would happen.

Karlovic v Berlocq - Karlovic wins in 4.  Again I didn't see any of this match at all.

F Lopez v Cipolla - Lopez wins in 3, no surprise here and I almost picked this to be a 3 set win for Lopez.  Although they were tight sets.

Fish v Falla - I was somewhat surprised that Fish lost in straights to Falla.  Although I felt and continue to feel that Fish's season will not be close to his best season of last year, I didn't think he'd lose this match or even that it would be close.  Fish was in a terrible mood, and couldn't get his head on straight, he hit unforced error after unforced error and is ability to get back in the game and hold leads was weak.

Dogs


Kamke v Dolgopolov  - I can never seem to get a match with Dolgopolov right.  Although Kamke had a match point at 5-6 in the 5th.  Dolgo held, then broke, then held for the win.  Another 5 setter for Dolgo, so I think his chances against Tomic will be weak.

Wawrinka v Baghdatis - I only caught the final few games of this match and from what I saw and heard from the announcers Wawrinka played great.  He usually is good for an upset and struggles against low level players.  I'll never really understand Wawrinka's inconsistency, but I know it's always good to bet him as a dog.

Isner v Nalbandian - I caught all of this match.  It was epic and from the outset I thought that Nalbandian should've won it.  Isner dialed up big serve after big serve when he was in trouble and hi 40+ aces.  Nalbandian should've won and was especially screwed.  At 8-8 and 40-A break point for Nalbandian, Isner hits one up the T that was wide.  The chair overrules and by the time Nalbandian figures out what happened the chair won't let him challenge.  Ridiculous.  I've never seen a player not get a challenge even after asking their opponent and the chair if they should challenge (which should be disallowed).  Isner got the point made it 40-40 and Isner hit two big serves to get out of that game.  Nalbandian's head wasn't on straight after that combined with Isner having to take epic chances (since he couldn't really move) he was broken for the match.

Querrey v Tomic - Querrey lost to Tomic after taking the first set.  I saw some of this match and I felt as though Querrey shoud've taken it more to Tomic.

Picks for tomorrow out later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment